Holy Trinity, Baswich
Holy Trinity is the largest of the three in the parish and there are services every day except Saturday. It is of 12th century origin although extensive alterations were undertaken in 14th century. It was largely rebuilt in the 18th century and the last major change was the addition of transepts in 1968.
Recent minor improvements have been the removal of pews to allow a social area, a sound system and the acquisition of a fine organ in 1997.
Normally the church is open for visiting every morning from 10:00am to mid day and you will receive a warm welcome from parishioners who can offer a guided tour with refreshments if you wish.
The churchyard is well maintained and covers about 3 acres. It is well worth a visit in its own right with headstones dating from the 18th century
St Thomas the Confessor, Walton on the Hill
This is a beautiful little country church very popular for weddings and baptisms. The churchyard has won numerous awards for its tidiness and environmental presentation.
The church began life in 1808 when it was decided that holy Trinity should be demolished because it was in need of considerable repair. After much discussion it was decided that the new church should be in the village of Walton to be accessible to all parish inhabitants. It was completed in 1842 at a cost of £957 to include the tower and spire and dedicated to St Thomas the Apostle as a Chapel of Ease on 22 December 1842.
On May 9 1845 the spire was struck be lightening and part destroyed along with shattered glass in the windows and roof damage. Repairs were carried out but in 1903 the building was considered unsafe. The lead covering and the weather cock were replaced by lighter equivalents. The herring bone fashion of the light lead cladding is a notable feature of the church on the hill.
The latest modifications were carried out in 1982 to improve facilities for social events and meetings. The South Transept is now used as a meeting room and a small extension houses the kitchen and toilets.
St Thomas the Confessor
Walton on the Hill
All Saints, Brocton
Regular services started in Brocton in 1889 with the appointment of a lay evangelist, Brother Booth. The services were held originally in the 'Black and White' cottage in the village but Brother Booth raised £200 by public subscription to build the Mission Room on land given by Mr C Chetwynd.
In 1916 the Mission Room was licensed for holding Divine Service. Further licenses were obtained for celebration of Holy Communion in 1923 and then for baptisms in 1941.
In 1950 the parishioners asked that the building be fully dedicated and the unanimous decision was eventually reached to dedicate it to All Saints. The service was conducted by the Bishop of Lichfield on 1st November 1951.
Extensions to add a south aisle were carried out in 1955 and dedicated by the Bishop of Stafford on 10 June that year.
A further room adjoining the vestry together with toilet facilities were added in 1983-4